When I was a child I always enjoyed eating yogurt, especially the strawberry and banana flavor. Yogurt has always been a nutritious, healthy and tasty snack for me! Since my kids have seen me eat yogurt on a day to day basis, they have had a routine of eating it too as a snack. They love greek yogurt and squeezable yogurt tubes in all flavors. Yogurt is a great source of protein and calcium which helps the body to grow healthy bones. It also contains something called probiotics, which are living microorganisms that can improve health.
4 Reason to Eat Yogurt
1. Yogurt is easier to digest than milk ” The culturing process makes yogurt easier to digest than milk. The live and active cultures break down the milk sugar lactose into glucose and galactose, two sugars that are easily absorbed by lactose-intolerant persons.”(www.Stonyfield.com)
2. Boosts the immune system “The probiotics in the yogurt helps prevents the overgrowth of fungus that shouldn’t be able to grow in your body.” (www.doctoroz.com)
3. Yogurt Contains Plenty of Calcium “Eat at least eight ounces of yogurt every day as this amount gives 50% of a kid’s daily requirement of calcium and about 40% of an adult’s daily calcium need. Eight ounces of yogurt gives more calcium to the body compared to the same amount of milk.” (www.leaflady.org)
4. Yogurt is a “grow food.” Two nutritional properties of yogurt may help children with intestinal absorption problems grow: the easier digestibility of the proteins and the fact that the lactic acid in yogurt increases the absorption of minerals. And even most picky-eaters will eat yogurt in dips and smoothies and as a topping.” (www.askdrsears.com)
Yogurt Snack Dots
Here is a real easy and simple yogurt recipe I made for my kids. It is a great quick snack to make on a hot day.
- yogurt of any flavor (I personally prefer greek) or squeezable yogurt tubes
- small ziploc bag
-parchment-lined cookie sheet
-berries or fruit of any sort
In a ziploc bag, spoon your child’s favorite flavor yogurt and snip the corner or use the squeezable yogurt. Then Squeeze a dot size of yogurt onto the parchment paper. Put cut up fruit of your choice on top of the dots. Freeze the yogurt dots for about 1/2 an hour. Serve chilled! Make sure to not leave the dots out for too long they melt very easily!
What else do you know about yogurt and it’s benefits?
Share your recipes with yogurt. Would love to try something new.